MY DISHES WENT UNWASHED TODAY , I DIDN'T MAKE MY BED. . . IN TWENTY YEARS NO ONE ON EARTH WILL KNOW OR EVEN CARE . BUT THAT I'VE HELPED MY CHILDREN TO ADULTHOOD GROW , IN TWENTY YEARS THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD WILL LOOK AND SEE AND KNOW .

A Blog for Nonnie

From all of us,We love you!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How do you spell.........?

Ok, so this statement is heard very often in my house, and 99.99% of the time it is coming out of my mouth. Although Alison has started to ask it quite a bit too. Well the question here lately has been " How do you really spell Briceson?" We are pretty sure the ladder is incorrect because we can't find it on any baby name websites. This makes me kinda happy because I am always concerned that we spelled EveyLynns name wrong and at least I wasn't the one to jack B's name up. My friends have tried to convinced me that we didn't spell Evey's name wrong because we made it up and it isn't a " real name" so there is no wrong way to spell it, but I'm not sure I believe them. Some times late at night when I'm really tired but can't fall a sleep I get my self all worked up thinking that we should have spelled it EvieLynn, but then in the morning when I am rested and thinking more rationally I remember that I don't like the way that spelling looks. So I scribble her name several times on a piece of paper spelling it all different ways, and i always come back to EveyLynn as my favorite. I can not tell you how many times i have gone threw this silly process. I'm hoping by the time she is 3 or 4 I can give up second guessing the name we chose for her. We only had a couple of days to settle on a name, where most people have 9 months to pick one out. Maybe that is why it has taken longer for me to " settle into" the name. We call her every thing from Evey, June, Junie, June-June, Juniper, Revey Evey, Evelyn, & Fairy June. There are a lot more, but that gives you an idea of the many forms her name has taken on. I wonder which one she will prefer when she grows up? Anyways, back to the dilemma at hand. How do you spell Briceson? We were going to leave it the way his mother spelled it on his birth certificate, because all of his records are spelled like that, and it would just be easier. Plus for some reason I feel like his name isn't ours to change. I'm not sure why, but I think it is because it is really all he came to us with. His name and a little, dingy, white shirt with the name of the hospital he was borne in on it. His name is his. He has had it since he was borne, and it is the only real thing he has from his mother( well the only positive thing) and I think it would be disrespectful to her to change it. Is that weird? I truly believe she did the very best she was capable of in regards to him. And if her best was only using 2 times a week wile pregnant instead of 5 times, well then I'm glad she tried. And if participating in his life for only 6 months was the best she could do, then again I'm glad she tried. She made him, carried him, and she named him. I want to be able to tell him these parts of the story about his mom, and if we change his name it would be like saying she didn't do a good enough job. She did HER best. Does that make any since? Any who, Now that we are in the process of filling out all the adoption paper work, we can't help but wonder if we should just touch up the spelling she used a bit! Lord knows I am just as likely to spell a kids name wrong as she is. : ) I only wish she had had someone there who was capable of kindly and gently telling her she was spelling it wrong. Daniel likes the son ending better than the cen ending, and I'm not very fond of the Bryson spelling because it looks to much like Tyson and Byson. So we agreed on Brison. I'm sure she would appreciate us making that small correction for her son. She gave him his middle name too and it will be staying Gene. But the bad part is now we can't find it spelled Brison on any of the baby name wed sites either. So is this spelling wrong too, or just not used ? I mean really. It shouldn't be this hard, but we just want to make sure. We could use some opinions here. What do you think: leave it Briceson, which is obviously wrong, or go with Brison which may or may not be wrong? And just for your enjoyment some of the things we call B are Bubba B, Gene Bean, Gene-Gene burrito head ( this is Isaiah's favorite), Bri-Bri, and plane old Briceson Gene. Katie and Ken( Daniels dad) are the only ones who ever call him Brice. Ok, I will quit rambling on. We have to pick a spelling before we meet with the lawyer next week. What do you all think?

2 comments:

  1. Leave it. Your instincts are correct, let him have the incorrect spelling from his birth mother. Plus, Brison is wrong too- you have to have an "e" to make the "I" long. Your spelling Is Bris(like brisket)-son. The Briceson spelling may look funny to some, but people pronounce it correctly, and it's his name. You asked for my opinion, so here it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And while we are on the subject, I think Evey's name is perfect too, confusing spelling and all. I had 9 months to think and it still took a while for Owen's name to sink in. I was constantly calling him Isaiah. I just couldn't make it work in my mind for a little while, but he definitely grew into it- it fits him to a T now.

    ReplyDelete