MY DISHES WENT UNWASHED TODAY , I DIDN'T MAKE MY BED. . . IN TWENTY YEARS NO ONE ON EARTH WILL KNOW OR EVEN CARE . BUT THAT I'VE HELPED MY CHILDREN TO ADULTHOOD GROW , IN TWENTY YEARS THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD WILL LOOK AND SEE AND KNOW .

A Blog for Nonnie

From all of us,We love you!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Aloha La Familia (Thats my new language... Hawanish! Sun tans and burrito's!!!)

Tuesday... just another day. Destinys failing math and doesn't care. What do you do with a kid that is more interested in the social aspects of FIFTH grade than an education??? AAAARRRGGGHHHH! Her TACS test is next tuesday (A retake, she failed the first one) and if she fails its summer school. No vacations. We've tried tutoring, doping her, grounding her, pretty much everything shy of beating her. Math... according to my brilliant child is stupid, and she'll never use it anyway. It really is suprising just how little math I use on a daily basis, at least anything more than simple arithmatic. I think my take on mathmatics at 30 something is more logical than anything. As in I just do it without realizing Ive just multiplied, divided, etc. But do I dare tell my precious young Artist (according to her thats what she wants to be) that yes, she's probally right? That outside of fifth grade arithmatics she'll probally never need to know the square root of 654847? Or that a stop sign is an octagon? I dont see a stop sign and say "Oh looky... what a pretty octagon!". No, I freaking stop! What to do?





On the bright side I dont have the mexican pig flu. But Im still ill'n. Doc says it's just a nasty sinus infection and not the flu... they tested.





Milah's doing good. GROWING prettier every day! Find out this friday if its a boy or girl. So until then... let me know if you have any suggestions outside of strangulation on your favorite neices little problem.

With Love

3 comments:

  1. i cannot help with the math thing except to say that i understand. a science student i had this semester in my beginning ceramics class wanted the mathematical breakdown in percentage points for the reasoning behind her C, a grade that in all fairness on effort and aesthetics she rightfully earned, and i broke down and changed the grade to a B. you cannot calculate art in numbers but there is no explaining this to the higher ups of the university system. she also cried a lot as i was lecturing her on what it means to apply oneself. i think that helped too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I have often kicked my self for not memorizing my multiplication facts. I have to break out my calculator to figure 25% off a clearance shirt! I was reading an artical the other day on the public education system, and aparantly they did lots of experamintation with our generation on different teaching techniques and found they were not effective. Hence the number of people who have to take remedial classes when entering collage. I for sure got jiped on the phonics, and math. Oh, well. I guess on the bright side, when I have to help Alison with her homework, its not boring! I'm learning it for the first time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try beating her... it will really put tutoring, grounding,and the TACS test into a whole new light for your stubborn young artist!
    But really, I get the boat that she's in. I'm paying $350 a pop to take two remedial math courses, beginner algebra and intermediate algebra, neither of which will earn me credit toward my degree, all because I thought math was stupid in the 5th grade. But in all fairness, I still think math is stupid, and I know I'll never use most of it again in my life!

    ReplyDelete