MY DISHES WENT UNWASHED TODAY , I DIDN'T MAKE MY BED. . . IN TWENTY YEARS NO ONE ON EARTH WILL KNOW OR EVEN CARE . BUT THAT I'VE HELPED MY CHILDREN TO ADULTHOOD GROW , IN TWENTY YEARS THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD WILL LOOK AND SEE AND KNOW .

A Blog for Nonnie

From all of us,We love you!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fannie Farmer's (Julia Maestri's?) Fabulous Foods

Okay, so I heard this wonderful piece on NPR this morning (you should go to NPR.org, scroll down to the "FOOD" section, and look at the pictures of Fannie Farmer's 1896 feast) about this man that built a 1896 kitchen and spent 2 years learning how to cook like Fannie Farmer, using the recipes from her 1896 Cookbook. He made jello (okay, gelatin) molds by boiling calves hooves, and homemade "food coloring" from spinach, and beets, and berries. Anyway, it made me think of the cookbook that Grandma Maestri passed on to Roxie, and how Roxie is going through it and cooking each of the recipes, and I was thinking it would be great if Roxie wrote (in her spare time, of course, while she's languishing in the upstairs closet making productive hemoglobin)(tip: have someone else do the spelling part...) about her successes (or failures) with the recipes! Just trying to keep a little family history going.....! Also, I posted another blog back around the end of September, but I can't find it anywhere! It was quite clever, and funny, and I know you would have all enjoyed reading it - but it doesn't seem to be on here, so I must have done something wrong (again) - stupid blogger! -- Love you all! Nonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment